Monday, August 4, 2008

Fireside Theology

One of the many places that the Holy Spirit has been renewing my heart and speaking to my soul has been sitting beside the fire. Which is what I’m doing right now…21st century though, journaling with my laptop. I’m sure the smoke can’t be good for the laptop. ☺

He’s used these times to renew my theology. As odd as that may sound, I think we all need to have our theology “renewed” from time to time. Each of us needs to reaffirm, in the far corners of our hearts and the deep crevices of our spirits, what we believe about who God is, how He is using us, what He’s doing with this world, why I really need Him, how He works inside of us, and what our responsibilities are.

This needs to be done separately from listening to great speakers, going to conferences, or in the busyness of life. This is done only, I believe, in reflection, with some space, with the volume turned down and our spiritual hearing turned up.

What has He renewed in my theology? I’m not ready to disclose it all outside of my journal. And some of it makes sense only in my thinking. But here are a few things, in my usual listing style:
• God is good, all the time. No matter what happens. No matter what doesn’t happen. He is good. Period.
• Scripture needs to be part of the constant thoughts of a believer. It’s the Word of their Master, Savior, friend, Father, Creator and Counselor. Why shouldn’t it be?
• The Church’s job is to introduce those within her influence to Christ and to grow them up IN Christ. Don’t get distracted by cool, big, egos, personal wants, or anything else.
• God has gifted each person for a specific place of service in the local Church. Scripture lifts no gifts significantly above others as being more important (if any, Paul says, “desire prophecy”). The church rises and falls on all of us using our gifts the way He intended.
• God wants to talk to us moment by moment. Be Quiet. We live with too much noise and at too high of a speed. We don’t have time to listen to Him.

No comments: