Tuesday, July 15, 2008

3 Week Confession

Well, it's almost 1/2 way through our Sabbatical and I have to confess that I'm still trying to figure out this recharging thing.

Bill Hybels talks about three "tanks" that we should monitor: Physical, Emotional and Spiritual.

I've been trying to pay attention to my tanks and here's my confession...I've been running at Empty or below for at least a year in all three tanks, so God knew what He was doing (doesn't He always?) for this summer.

There is no doubt that my physical tank is refilling, actually, it's probably full. I didn't realize how sleep deprived I was and now recognize how most of us really are living sleep deprived most of the time. I've also done some Biblical study and am convicted that this is, let's call it what it is, sin.

My concern is that my emotional and spiritual tanks are still low. I'm asking lots of questions, trying to identify the leaks, and attempting to plug them.

My other confession is that I'm experiencing some guilt for taking an extended time off like this...even though I'm even more convinced of God's timing and the Biblicality of a Sabbatical. My guilt stems from the fact that, as I look around, I see so many of my friends and colleagues who are living at less than God's best and should have a time of rest just like this. It's a little like eating in a nice restaurant while a hungry person walks by the window...

No comments: