Sunday, July 13, 2008

They Pastor TWO churches?

Today, we have the opportunity to attend the two churches that Kiley's sister and brother-in-law lead. Yes, you read that correctly, TWO churches.

They currently pastor the Gospel Chapel in Gordon, NE. It has a long history and they are doing an amazing job of, in a sense, restarting the church and reaching out to a very difficult and complex small community. The Gospel Chapel's services are on Sunday morning.

They also planted a church in Chadron, NE, about 45 miles to the West. It's been fun to watch as they have seen true Book of Acts-like repentance transformations. I always look forward to hearing from them as to what God has been up to there. The community is another interesting one. It's made up of 3-4 distinct groups of people who are miles apart from each other in culture. I pray for them on a regular basis as they answer the call to reach this town. Discovery Church meets on Sunday nights.

I've spoken in both of these churches in the past and enjoy the people immensely. Laura and Jason are gifted at BOTH Evangelism and Discipleship and it shows in their people.

The most exciting recent event has been the Wesleyan District's commitment to step in and help them with resources and support. This should allow Jason to work some of his other part time jobs less, plus, and here's the exciting news, it will allow them to hire on their first staff member! They've hired a couple from right here in the community who have been helping them make a huge impact in student ministries, and now, they should be moving to a whole new level with them fully on the team. I'm thrilled for them!

I have to say that I am constantly impressed by Jason and Laura and their effective ministry. Their commitment to their calling to these people is one that is so often ignored by ministers today. I believe that they are in the right place at the right time and look forward to seeing how God uses them in the coming days...

We'll be attending the Gospel Chapel for Sunday School and church this morning and then we get to join them for a potluck (there's NOTHING like the food you get at a good rural potluck - I miss some of them from my early days in ministry in Syracuse -- of course, that's where I put on the weight I've been trying to get off for 12 years!). Kiley will run up to spend some time with her Grandma this afternoon (today would have been her 62nd Wedding Anniversary had Grandpa Ervin not passed away this last winter).

Then, at 3 or so, we'll drive an hour to Chadron for Discovery Church. While in Chadron, we'll do some grocery shopping. Remember...getting to the grocery store takes planning out here as there's not many that are close. :-)

Tomorrow, we get up early and take a trek through the Badlands of South Dakota the famous Wall Drug.

I think I'll buy myself some authentic Cowboy boots...not the showy kind, but the real ones. I think I'd look good preachin' in those...

No comments: