Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Festival?

Ian woke up earlier than usual this morning and marched into our room and announced in his best public speaker's voice, "The family festival will begin as soon as everyone is out of bed." We weren't sure what this meant, but, come to find out, he had worked hard, with Brendon's help, the day before to sort all of their stuffed animals into categories and placed them in their rooms in imaginary cages for a zoo.

Kiley enjoyed her festival that morning, but I, unfortunately, had to go to work. I came home for lunch, so they took me immediately upstairs for my private screening of the festival. They had all kinds of performances from different "trained" animals from various parts of the world. They even performed some magic tricks as animals disappeared in front of us. Ian's knowledge of animals continues to astound me.

Tonight, we visited their school for "meet the teacher" night in preparation for school beginning in the morning.

Ian made himself right at home in Mrs. Stevenson's classroom. He's so excited about school that he can hardly contain himself. As other students and their families would come in, he would walk up to the student, grin, and say "hi" and then just stand there. They'd look at him like, "whose the weirdo?" I know he'll do well. He's always the popular one amongst his friends and with his teachers.

Brendon's new teacher is Mrs. Lillich. She has two sets of twins, one set in Kindergarten with Ian and another in 5th grade. She's a believer and has a strong goal of helping her 4th graders learn independent motivational skills this year. I think she's the perfect teacher for Brendon. I'm thrilled so far with how God placed the right teachers in the right place for our boys.

After that, I took the family home. I gave Kiley the choice, for her birthday, as to whether she wanted to put the boys to bed or attend the mandatory parent meeting at the school. She chose putting the boys to bed, so guess where I spent my evening?

No comments: