Sunday, June 29, 2008

One Week

It's been one week to the day since we left Sacramento and headed East. I haven't posted in a few days mainly because I've had far too many thoughts and was tempted to move into "work" mode.

The Holy Spirit has been working on me for many months now. This summer could not come at a better time for my soul (but God's timing is always the right time isn't it?). I have to confess, I've been tired in my soul for months. Not necessarily physically tired, so many others have so much more to deal with in their lives than I do. There has just been a weariness in my soul that has, at times, been beyond my ability to know what to do. There has been a creeping coldness at times in my soul that I have had to actively fight. The kind of coldness that causes an internal self-absorption instead of an outward heart-for-the-world.

In the middle of this subtle battlefield, the Holy Spirit has been quietly transforming my mind and heart once again. He's brought me to points of re-examining, deepening, and strengthening values, purpose, and faith. I know He's preparing me for another wave of involvement in His activities. I'm not sure what that looks like yet...in fact, I've got a lot of questions I'm asking right now.

I do know a few things He seems to be saying clearly:
  • Relationships are more important to God's work than I've ever come to understand in the past.
  • I am to somehow lean into my strengths and away from my weaknesses more than ever before.
  • My family is my first ministry.
  • God made seasons for a reason - we are to live and move in seasons.
  • God is using a new wave of leaders with a different focus than the last 20 years (more on this at some other time).
  • I am to go deeper into His Word than ever before.
  • I have seen myself as not having much vision, I have more vision than I have given myself credit for.
  • I need to spend more time visiting churches (not necessarily big ones) that are accomplishing the Mission (capital M) to keep my heart stirring - this comes from visiting a friend's church this morning (another post).
  • God is creative - we limit Him when we emulate other churches instead of seeking His face AND using the brains that He has given us. This takes time, brains, study, experimentation and prayer. It does not mean that we don't study and use what others are doing. It does mean that He likes doing new things.
  • It is vital for churches to figure out the key to their culture. What language speaks the loudest? What communicates love the most? What will turn the heads of the community due to their surprise and wonder at who these people are instead of shock and dismay?
I've got to stop...there's a ton working on my heart right now. I pray that I am being renewed for another wave of being in the center of His active Kingdom.

No comments: