Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Being Thankful

I’ve just been overwhelmed the last few days with thankfulness. Our Heavenly Father has blessed us on this trip far more than we could ever, and I mean EVER deserve.
We have had no accidents, no major repairs, no major problems with the trailer, etc. Now, I know we aren’t home yet, and, if something were to happen it wouldn’t change my appreciation for His generosity and blessing.
Plus, we’ve been gifted with so many moments, memories, “coincidences”, etc. that only He could arrange. I was listing them in my head as I was driving today:
• Almost perfect campsites (that’s a bigger blessing than you may understand) – well, except that FIRST night. ☺
• So much meaningful relationship time. Someone, before we left home asked me, “Are you sure you want to spend so much of your Sabbatical seeing family and friends? How could that be restful?” Well, we’re blessed with great family on both sides. We’ve had so many moments that I wouldn’t trade for all the world. Plus, believe it or not, I get far more rest when my boys are playing with their grandparents than if it was JUST our family. Plus, we’ve connected with other friends along the way.
• A sentimental Spiritual journey for me. We’ve had a few stops along the way that were at or near places where I made, by God’s grace, significant commitments in my relationship with my Jesus. Visiting these places for me has had a huge impact on what the Holy Spirit has been saying in my life for several months now.
• A camper. It’s raining out right now and I’m sitting, warm and dry in a screen porch. If we were tenting, I’d be miserable. If I was in a hotel, I’d be broke.
• My mom and dad. They loaned us their pick up for the summer. They didn’t have too. They paid more money than they had to get it fixed. We would not have been able to take this trip without their generosity. In so many ways, they’ve taught me the meaning of generosity.
• My beautiful bride. We’ve always enjoyed a great loving relationship, but it’s deepened this summer. It’s been fun to parent side-by-side, which we don’t always get to do in the busyness of the American lifestyle (which, by the way, is seriously wacked and non-biblical, but that’s for another post). We’re a great team and I would have no one else to partner with in this life.
• Creativity. We’ve listened to about 13 books on tape together as a family (all of the Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The Emperor has no Clothes, and a few others by Roald Dahl). Man, this world has some creative people in it Then, you add the amazing creativity of our Creator – which is beyond imagination. We’ve seen desert, mountains, high plains, low plans, sand hills, black hills, badlands, canyons, geysers, mud pots, dinosaur bones, tons of animals, waterfalls, the Columbia River Gorge, and more. (and we’ve still got the Oregon Coast and the Redwoods to go!). No amount of random evolution could have produced that kind of creativity. I don’t care what you say…it takes more faith to believe in that than a Creative Creator.

I’ll stop this post is already way too long. ☺

No comments: