Saturday, June 21, 2008

Relaxing is hard work?

Confession time...

I've tended to be judgmental of those who, in my lofty opinion, just drive themselves too hard. Now, I'm a believer in hard work, a good work ethic, but not at the expense of family, health, relationships, etc.

However, it's interesting how Pharisaical one can be. Looking down my nose at others, while my own soul creeps towards it's own distracted state of being. Always on alert but never paying attention. Always looking to accomplish the next thing.

Last night I find myself talking through a to do list for today so that we can hurry up and accomplish getting on the road.

This morning I woke up almost jumping out of bed to get stuff done.

Kiley asked if I wanted to go for a run with her and I found myself saying, "No, I've got too much to do."

Then I stopped...

Why am I in a hurry?

What is so important?

Nothing.

We have no agenda, other than relaxation.

We aren't going to hit the road today unless we have a last minute impulse. We're going to slowly enjoy packing. Go for a long swim and play at my folks' house. I plan to leisurely get the yard ready for us to be gone.

Who knew that making yourself relax was such hard work?

No comments: